Volunteering with CDYS
CDYS have always relied on time, generously donated by volunteers and students. Not only are the CDYS centres a place where young people can participate in activities, it is also a place where volunteers can help shape and lead activities and contribute to the organisation as a whole.
Volunteering is about so much more than ‘just helping out’. It allows people to form positive, long-term relationships with young people and to help them to get to where they want to go.
The diversity of volunteers who come in and work with young people week in week out, is an integral part of what makes CDYS such a fantastic place to become involved in.
- If you are interested in becoming a volunteer please contact or call into any of our local offices who would only be delighted to hear from you.
- Every potential volunteer is required to complete a Garda vetting form and a volunteer application form.
- All forms can now to be forwarded back to your local CDYS office where it will be forwarded to the local Garda station for a vetting process and reference check.
- Once Garda vetting is back and references are in, each project will then contact you for you to start getting involved. Training plans will then be put in place.
Midleton Mallow & Fermoy CDYSVACANCY POSITION
Volunteer Youth WorkerBRIEF DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT
CDYS Youth Projects run a variety of different groups and activities for young people aged between 12-18. They vary between after school activities such as sports, arts and crafts, developmental educational programmes and music tuition. We also work with young people on a one-to one basis helping support them through difficulties and referring them to counselling etc. if needed.
Working alongside a youth worker in groups such as soccer, music, arts and crafts.
Assisting with events in the community organised by CDYS such as ‘Youth Factor’ talent completion, fundraising etc.
SKILLS & QUALITIES REQUIRED
· Working as part of a team
· Using own initiative
· Good communication skills
· Good organisational skills
· Non judgmental attitude
TIME OF DAY REQUIRED
Flexible, most groups are on after school but we do run some programmes during the day also.
DURATION OF ACTIVITY
Most after school activities are one hour. Other programmes can be two hours
LENGTH OF TIME REQUIRED
Depending on what the volunteer has available. 5-10 hours
Person who has experience of working with young people or in the caring profession.
“CDYS as a whole accepts everyone in a non-judgemental and friendly way. Young people come to participate in activities and hang out with friends but they also come to have the chat with the workers and volunteers. We believe these are the most important values that every youth organisation should process. We are very grateful to everyone in CDYS for giving us the opportunity to be involved.”
– College Students