Run in co-ordination with An Garda Siochána, the Diversion Project has been a huge success in the CDYS area. The project is funded by The Department of Justice Equality and Law Reform. This project is part supported by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.
There are two diversion projects being run in CDYS, the Mallow Garda Youth Diversion Project (MYDP) and Feabhas Garda Youth Diversion Project (Feabhas GYDP) in Cobh.
For more information on this project please contact:
Robert Green on (086) 6096875.
The Project aims to:
- Facilitate activities and programmes that support participant’s personal development
- Encourage participants personal, community and social responsibility.
- Improve long term employment prospects of participants.
- Provide prevention based programmes for participants.
- Where offending behaviour has occurred, provide intervention programmes for participants.
- Support and facilitate a positive relationship between participants and Gardaí.
Participation on the project is on a referral basis. We run regular groups and one to one work where activities are formulated around a young persons needs. Some of our special projects last year have included; Graffiti Project, Camp Diversion and the newly launched Mallow Amateur Boxing Club.
“The centre is unreal, provides great service for all young people in mallow. All staff are kind and generous. Sometimes feel very welcome and gives us a place to go and keeps us out of trouble. Keeps us fit when we’re playing soccer and we get to play pool and other activities. I’d be lost without the service”.
Young person, aged 17