Fermoy SPY is located at 2 Fitzgeralds Place, Fermoy.
Contact Tel No. Rosemary on 086 8031200
2018 and has been a very busy year for CDYS Fermoy! In February ten young people completed a ten-week photography course, the aim the project was to develop basic photography skills by capturing some shots in the young people’s community. This project was funded by the HSE and Fermoy Community Network as part of Friendship week. The photos were exhibited in The Heron Café and The Coffee house in Fermoy.
- During April CDYS Fermoy and Mitchelstown travelled to the Black Valley in Kerry for an overnight stay. During this trip the 15 young people completed the My Friends Strong Not Tough Resilience Training.
- In June 2018 a group of young people went to Torc Waterfall. On this trip the young people got to see the waterfall, Some climbed Torc while others went to the National Park for a walk.
- In July 2018 ten young people joined a group from Mallow SPY and went to Sherkin Island for two nights. This is an annual trip and something that is highly anticipated by the young people each year. Everyone enjoyed the Swimming and bbq’s on the beaches, Campfires and sing songs during beautiful sunsets. We look forward to going again in 2019.
- During the year Rose the youth worker in Fermoy began looking into the process of Erasmus+ projects for young people in Fermoy. Rose took part in the BiTriMulti training in Bonn, Germany. This training was to develop an understanding of Erasmus+ funding and partner finding for an exchange.
In October a group of eight young people along with Rose completed an application for a youth exchange with Erasmus+ to travel to Bulgaria in May 2019 with Turkey and Finland. The project is about intercultural learning and exploring European diversity. We found out in December that the project was approved by our National Agency Leargas so the group were all very excited for this opportunity to travel!
- October was a busy month in the service with some bag packing in Tesco Mitchelstown to raise some funds for the service.
- During the midterm break two of CDYS Fermoy’s youth council members competed at a debate at CDYS Regional Youth Council where they came first for their strong argument on ‘social media and the health of young people’.
- Before the year ended, CDYS attended the first youth work forum organized by Cork ETB in Paric Ui Chaoimh where youth workers Ross and Miriam from Midleton SPY and Mallow SPY were speaking about the My Friends programme and learning about what other youth services in Cork are doing.
- 2018 ended on a high with an ice-skating trip with Mitchelstown SPY and a family Christmas dinner at the centre.
CDYS Fermoy would like to thank all the young people and volunteers for all their support which makes all this amazing work possible!
If you would like to Volunteer with Fermoy SPY we would love to hear from you! Visit our Volunteering page for more information or contact Rosemary the youth worker in Fermoy for a chat.
For more information on Fermoy SPY please contact Rosemary – 086 8031200.